« Japan Sushi Tutorial | Main | Self-pumping tires »

December 20, 2005

WFAS on a snowy December Tuesday morning

Brain scanning has advanced considerably since John Lilly authored "Programming the Human Biocomputer" but such scanning only confirmed the obvious - certain stimuli are hardwired to certain pleasure centers. Taking that first bite out of a porterhouse hits one while eating chocolate hits another as stepping into a central AC room when it is boiling outside and so on - I felt something I haven't felt for 10 or 15 years - the temprorary relief of a childhood snow day. It's not quite the same as a sick day. Also, you'd think I'd be over either of those, as I work for myself and go into an office to continue to work for myself. But there's something strangely satisfying now the NYC rat race is sorta "off for a day". Maybe we can try to all take a deep breath and ponder over why we moved into this mess in the first place. Either way, we're all in this together and that's part of the satisfaction. Is it just me?? (hint hint Hit the comment button)

Posted by raji at December 20, 2005 4:29 AM

Comments

We are all in this together. And that's why I will continue to pilfer all I can from anyone I can.

Posted by: Smagabo Jonesrycsche at December 20, 2005 3:30 PM

Well, considering that everyone had to still go to work anyway and that NYPD stopped every single car driving into Manhattan to check if you were all happy 4somes, no, this was not a "Relief from the rat race day." My brother teaches in the South Bronx (definitely serving the public there) and it took him 2 hours to come into work- AND because he came in 20 minutes late, they threatened to dock his pay. Some strike, I hope these jackasses get less than what they have now.

Posted by: Adam at December 20, 2005 6:54 PM

Hear, hear. We've got to stick together or be beaten down by Bloomy and his cohorts. Walk, ride, or pay, just don't start those trains right away!

Posted by: Agnes Lorenz at December 20, 2005 9:40 PM

Time’s present of a memory long ago

I often lament about my childhood, now so more than ever. Finding myself staring at my son remembering moments some faded, and some so vivid as if I were reliving them at that very moment. I remember sleigh riding down a sidewalk on Orlando Avenue, in a village where I grew up, not having a caring in the world except having fun on an old beaten up red plastic toboggan sled. Whizzing down on the packed snow tracks we made. Racing up the street so as not to step on and ruin the painstakingly carefully packed down snow. We would even wait for our neighbor, the Fasts to leave their home and sleigh down their yard off of a six foot stone wall and hoping that we would land in a sitting position on the layer of snow just after the rocks below and not break our asses on them. A time that carefree really meant carefree. Sporadic as my memories are, they remind me of who I was and who and why I am. Nothing is so more important to me than creating memories with my children that will be with them long after I’m gone. The next time it snows, go out and make some memories.

Posted by: Nicolas De Giorgio at December 22, 2005 12:34 AM

The man whose license plate read "Crazy Nick" just posted a beautiful piece. Set the bar high my friend!

Posted by: raji at December 22, 2005 12:42 AM