« $5 M-F Loew's 34th Street | Main | New Joisey: Come See For Yourself! »

January 10, 2006

you gotta love the CSPAN

If you're watching yourself some ScAlito hearings, you can watch on CNN's 6-screen Situation Room, SuperHyperFOX BullshitVision, etc.

But our taxes pay for CSPAN, and thankfully, those tax dollars don't extend to proper call screening! When our congress goes on collective bathroom breaks, you get to enjoy some your craziest fellow Americans calling into cheapo CSPAN.

Update Thanks to Adam for my new Sirius radio, I'm listening to CSPAN radio at work, and today I worked from home and have been watching it. Scalito is following the edict: don't answer the question they ask, rather the one you want to answer. Watching him it seems as he's been coached by Roberts. He hasn't slipped up to the point that he will go down yet and the hearings have been very civil. At the same time, I haven't heard anything that would settle any of our fears about him or a court that has swung to the right. If the country has indeed swung back to the right, then so be it, but we all know that we've suffered through 2 defrauded elections, 1 defrauded war, and the center is in fact somewhere else. I'd hate to think that the only legacy of Bush's lame duck presidency was putting up 2 young white conversative WASP judges.

Bush said "don't call me a racist", but what do you call this?

BTW, I dont' support torture, EXCEPT IN GETTING A STRAIGHT ANSWER OUT OF THESE FUCKING JUDICIAL NOMINEES. Schumer held up the constitution and did his impression of Law and Order's interrogation room. Awesome drama!

Posted by raji at January 10, 2006 11:19 AM

Comments

Alito is an Italian Catholic, which means he clearly doesn't qualify as a WASP.

Posted by: Anthony at January 10, 2006 10:48 PM

You know, I suspected that, but it's easy for us progressives to group the evils into neatly contained categories.

But that leads to a good question - what relationship do you think his faith has in his views on abortion, which is THE hot-button topic of this hearing (as well as any I guess for the past 20 years)

Posted by: raji at January 10, 2006 11:43 PM

I love how liberals use the term "progressive," as if they were the same thing!

Who knows how Alito's faith informs his jurisprudence. We know he's a conservative, and I don't know if the roots of that conservatism really matter.

Posted by: Anthony at January 10, 2006 11:55 PM

I'm quite positive I know what I am much, much better than you do.

Posted by: raji at January 11, 2006 12:00 AM

I'm glad you're using that Sirius satellite all the time, but my God man! CSPAN on the radio??? You take your civic duties far more seriously than the average man. That's why I love you.

Posted by: Adam at January 11, 2006 9:35 AM

I know...it's a bit sick. I'm a very concerned citizen. But the various news outlets pick and choose soundbites - you really have to get into the full dialogue to know what's going on...

Also, it gives me a little hope and tear in my eye to hear Rs and Ds in Senate "getting along".

Then again, to use the words of an angry black man who called into CSPAN "look at the screen! It's a bunch of white people asking white people questions to a white judge. WTF"

Posted by: raji at January 11, 2006 10:09 AM

Ted Kennedy and Arlen Spector had a nice blow-up this AM over Kennedy's request to subpoena some documents from a chief CAP player back in the 1980's. Apparently, the docs are at the Library of Congress and probably don't have much bearing on Alito (in that Alito has not written any of them nor is he mentioned in any of them) but it was kind of fun watching two old white guys bitch eachother out on national TV. Makes me wish Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau were still with us...

Posted by: Adam at January 11, 2006 2:15 PM

One of the partners at Julie's law firm worked with Alito at the D.O.J. some years back... said he's a nice quiet guy who does is work and goes home... i.e. he doesn't have much of an agenda but certainly a legal philosophy. For what it's worth, she tells me the conventional wisdom in her blue state legal circles is it's better to get a conservative from NJ than a moderate from the bible belt.

Posted by: ravi at January 11, 2006 5:12 PM

[moderated] When I post my blog which you can personally attack me on, I'll get back to you.

In the meantime, did I introduce you to my idol, Rick Santorum?

Posted by: Anthony at January 11, 2006 6:06 PM

Last week I had too many ideas to know what to say, but now I can limit myself to this: "C-SPAN receives no government funding; operations are funded by fees paid by cable and satellite affiliates who carry C-SPAN programming" (from the About page at cspan.org). So our dollars pay for it, but not our tax dollars. Sorry if this is too nitpicky!

Posted by: John Branch at January 17, 2006 6:43 PM